Thursday, July 02, 2026

Scenes from the Hospital on my "Birthday"

How appropriate is it to have "Symphony" as the maker of the water and ice machine that sits outside of my hospital room? And isn't it nice to know that the walnuts our daughter brought me from my favorite store were packaged in a facility that also packages nuts.

Today I get five bags of stem cells pumped into my system. I believe they start going in shortly before lunchtime, which gives me time to go to the exercise room, which has a piano to play. There is also a music stand in there, so I don't need to assemble and take down my heavy folding stand, and risk getting another pinching bruise.

I showed the physical therapist, who gave me goals for walking and brought me to the above-mentioned exercise room (which is very close to my room), my Sigo tenor recorder, which requires a fairly large inhalation (like 2000 ml of air to make a good sound). She thought it might be a great research project for people involved in physical therapy.

I hope that other musicians going through stem cell transplants might be encouraged to try instrument as part of their recovery process.

Michael and I have been playing together every evening after dinner (Sigo and guitar), but tonight, now that my port insertion is healed, I can play violin too.

The "birthday" in the title of this post means that my immune system is like that of a newborn baby today. It is called "Day Zero." I probably won't post much during the rest of this week since my energy level will be very low, but I will do my best. Connecting with people, and particularly with musicians, really does help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep pushing, you are doing great!

Jonathan Brodie said...

You are already taking the most efficacious of therapies: doing music. This opinion comes from my recent experience , after major spinal surgery, of thinking I would never be able to walk again. My first physical attempt to counter this depressing notion was holding my viola on my lap and playing from an awkward horizontal position, both pre-existing and improvised divisions over "An Italian Ground." from John Playford's "The Delightful Companion or Choice New Lessons for the Recorder or Flute." This music, and the making of it, validated the name of the book that contained that profound ground: the divisions were delightful companions. Each one helped me understand that I still had, though rudimentary, some wits and physical capabilities. This realisation gave me an optimistic outlook that helped raise me out of my malaise. You already are doing this work. Your therapists should take note and learn from you. All good sounds to you from Milwaukee...Jonathan

Elaine Fine said...

Thank you, Jonathan! I think I will play some Playford either later today or tomorrow. Then there’s the Division Viol, but I am only equipped with a violin and a tenor recorder. Today I took a walk, played some Telemann Fantasies, took a nap, and had a shower. Lunch is on its way. The nursing staff is here for my every need (mostly, at this point, giving me meds to counteract nausea. The drop into the abyss has indeed begun. Hopefully I will be able to eat the lunch that will be delivered very soon.

And thank you, Anonymous. I will keep pushing.