Monday, July 13, 2026

“Dear Lara”

I asked the Canadian violinist/filmmaker Lara St. John if I could have a chance to see her new documentary, which was streaming, for a short time, only in Canada, and is, fortunately, having a handful of showings in a few select theaters in the United States. She made it possible for me to watch it, and I watched it with Michael, who is writing a post about it as I type.

[His post is here.]

I have been following the subject, the proliferation of sexual abuse of young women by their conservatory professors, for my entire life. I was deeply aware of the behavior of powerful men in the world of classical music when I was a child. It was sometimes even dinner table conversation when I was a teenager.

When you watch the documentary you will see the widespread nature of this criminal behavior within a field that is supposed to be about finding truth and beauty. The irony!

One thing I did learn from the film that I hadn't known was that the financé of my fifth-grade stand-partner in All-city orchestra was being abused by her teacher (neither of us knew her then: she was eight when it started). I feel so deeply sad for my friend. Sexual abuse, or in this case rape, has a profound impact on the entire musical community and their families and friends.

The only spoilers I will give you are musical ones. The whole musical background for the film is amazing. It is perfectly in proportion, and has fantastic playing, much of it by St. John. Never before have I experienced music that I know really well used as a narrative voice in a documentary in a way that transforms the way I think of the music.

The documentary style is honest, straightforward, comfortable, and relaxed: a perfect way to showcase dishonesty, ambiguous, uncomfortable, and tense. I wouldn't be surprised to see future films with St. John as either director or as the person running the music department. I also wouldn't be surprised if this film were to win a few major awards.

No comments: