While we were on our usual walk of the hospital hallways yesterday, I noticed that the exercise room door was open, and inside was a young woman with a violin. Indeed it was part of a hospital musical program where they have musicians play in various locations on various days.
Our first experience with this was hearing Spanish and Brazilian music played by a guitarist in the lobby of one of the non-hospital buildings. It was wonderful to hear, and when I asked him if he could play something for me by Paulo Bellinati, he did.
On our next lap I learned that the violinist would be playing from 2:00 until 3:00, so I came in to listen. She played a few pieces from the various Suzuki books. It was lovely. She played beautifully in tune, and she played in such a way that demonstrated her deep love of music.
When she started playing a movement from one of the Seitz Concertos, a piece I can play the accompaniment for, after teaching it so often, I asked her if she wanted me to accompany her on the piano. She loved the idea. I grabbed my iPad, and we began. But the electric piano was about a quarter tone low, and we didn't know how to adjust it. I didn't want to ask her to tune down, so I grabbed my violin (my room is a few doors down from the music room), and we played some duets.
I had "Weights and Measures" on my iPad, so we played a few of those. I let her know that I wrote them, and explained how they worked as scale pieces. I hadn't ever played them with such a good violinist, and hadn't played them in a very long time as duet pieces. It was a real treat for me.
At around 3:00 a few of her friends came by. They were all college students working in the hospital for the summer while they were home in Chicago. They might have had other duties in the hospital, but they were all musicians. One was a pianist and a bass player, and the other was a violist.
The violinist told her friends that I had written the music we were playing, and it was clear to me that none of these young people had the sense that it was unusual in any way for a composer to be a woman. I asked the violist what he was working on, and the last piece he played was by Rebecca Clarke. The bass player had just played the Rachmaninoff Second Piano Concerto for the first time in her life, and was thrilled by the experience.
The violist and I talked about repertoire, and I learned about a new/old/obscure viola composer (new-to-me) from him: I. Chandoschkin (1747-1804), a Soviet "creation." I am excited to do a deep dive into learning about this person.
I was thrilled and enchanted by these young musicians, and I somehow feel, in the not-yet-engrafted marrow of my bones, that "the kids are alright," at least the kids that have music running through their veins,
Tuesday, July 07, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
What a wonderful adjuvant therapy!
Post a Comment