It works perfectly well for a lot of people, but, call me either old or fuddy-duddy, it doesn't work well enough for me to justify the monthly expense.
After poking around the Apple Music app on my phone in the Bach to see what I could play (somehow an automatic "composer" organizing system must have put all the Bach together), and having lost the piece I was listening to due to a fumble in my pocket, I accidentally came upon Sviatoslav Richter's recording of the Bach Well-Tempered Clavier. What a treat (I thought) to bring on today's walk.
After having temperatures in the 80s until yesterday's rain (the first rain in months), today was cold. I had a coat, a hat, and gloves on. The wind was strong, but it always managed to be at our back. The sky was blue, the leaves had suddenly turned yellow, and I was listening to a Bach fugue with new ears because I had developed enough as a pianist since the last time I listened to this recording to actually know the territory, landscape, and physicality of the fugue that Richter was playing (the C major Fugue from Book One).
But wait! The C major Fugue was followed by the second fugue, and then the third. I started to understand what was happening. I have never listened to the WTC as a series of fugues before. Our walk lasted through all the fugues of Book One, and then, informed by the alphabet, I guess, started on the preludes (beginning with the C major) while I was rolling the trash can to the "curb" (we don't have a sidewalk, so there is no curb--just the spot where the driveway, the front lawn, and the street meet.
After poking around the Apple Music app on my phone in the Bach to see what I could play (somehow an automatic "composer" organizing system must have put all the Bach together), and having lost the piece I was listening to due to a fumble in my pocket, I accidentally came upon Sviatoslav Richter's recording of the Bach Well-Tempered Clavier. What a treat (I thought) to bring on today's walk.
After having temperatures in the 80s until yesterday's rain (the first rain in months), today was cold. I had a coat, a hat, and gloves on. The wind was strong, but it always managed to be at our back. The sky was blue, the leaves had suddenly turned yellow, and I was listening to a Bach fugue with new ears because I had developed enough as a pianist since the last time I listened to this recording to actually know the territory, landscape, and physicality of the fugue that Richter was playing (the C major Fugue from Book One).
But wait! The C major Fugue was followed by the second fugue, and then the third. I started to understand what was happening. I have never listened to the WTC as a series of fugues before. Our walk lasted through all the fugues of Book One, and then, informed by the alphabet, I guess, started on the preludes (beginning with the C major) while I was rolling the trash can to the "curb" (we don't have a sidewalk, so there is no curb--just the spot where the driveway, the front lawn, and the street meet.


No comments:
Post a Comment