Christopher Gordon Forbes, in old blogosphere style, poses a daily question on his Contemporary Composers Collective page on Facebook.
Today’s question was a good one:
How much do you view yourself as an artist, and how much as a craftsperson? Is there a distinction between the two?I enjoyed answering it there, and am happy that I can share it here.
Without craft there is no art. I think of craft as the “how,” and whatever happens when a human being interacts with whatever I do as an answer to a “why.” Maybe that’s the art part, but it has very little to do with me, unless I happen to be the person who is expressing herself through a piece I happen to have written. If I don’t get the “craft” right, that possibility for expression is not as clear as I might have hoped. And without expression (of something) I don’t believe there is art.


1 comment:
I would need to think more about this good question before throwing in what cents I have; but it does remind me of a clever quote in regards to who really composed the Haydn D major Cello Concerto…Hayndn or his friend AntonÃn Kraft.
“More craft than Kraft.”
Post a Comment