Saturday, June 14, 2025

The Wisdom of Rob Roy McGregor

I just finished listening to a conversation between Anthony Plog and Rob Roy McGregor from a 2021 episode of the podcast On Music. I learn something new about music from every episode (and there are many), and recommend this podcast highly. There is a serious emphasis on brass playing, particularly trumpet playing, but since brass playing is not something I do, and the brass-player's perspective is not something I have, it is very informative.

Rob Roy McGregor talks at length about the difficulties of being a music publisher in the episodes I linked to above. Sometime before 2021 he sold his thirty-year-old company, Balquhidder Music, to Carl Fisher, and is happily retired from both publishing and playing (he played in the trumpet section of the Los Angeles Philharmonic).

Here is the big take-away for me:
When money becomes involved, then you can be more easily disappointed.

No comments: