Sunday, June 29, 2025

All the weather, all at once

I wrote this piece back in March, during a crazy time when we had different weather every day. I finished it while in a "safe spot" during a tornado warning.

Michael Hall, the person I wrote it for, gave the piece its first performance last week, on the first day of summer. He will be making a recording of it at some point in the future, but because people are eager to know what the piece sounds like, I made a "demo" recording last night.

I love making slide shows to "illustrate" possibilities for musical imagery, so I made one for this piece. The images I used are not definitive ones: they are just images that work for me today, with the way I played the piece last night.

Please excuse the occasional foible: making a decent recording of even a short piece is difficult, particularly when that short piece is difficult to play. But I think that the challenges make the music better (particularly when played by a better violist than me).

You can find a PDF on this page of the IMSLP.

No comments: