Thursday, April 03, 2025

They Care if You Listen

I'm very excited about the release tomorow of Philippe Quint's Milestones recording. And I am grateful to A. Kori Hill, from the website I Care if You Listen, for writing something about my violin and piano arrangement of Florence Price's "Adoration," which is offered as a bonus track.

Quint closes the album with Adoration by Florence Price, which he describes as a bonus track. Originally for organ, this piece has found new life in an arrangement for violin and piano, and Quint’s rich, deep tone and keen emotional sense is put to effective use.

Though a bonus track, it was disappointing to find no liner notes for this increasingly popular work that was unknown for decades. It was first arranged by performer-composer Elaine Fine, followed by a published arrangement by G. Schirmer with variances in the piano (and no credited arranger) in 2019. By comparison with the scores, it is the Fine version being performed here. To include her as arranger would have been not only respectful, but historically responsible.