Tuesday, April 15, 2025

Rite of Spring, Rite of Passage

[Click for a larger image of the huge orchestra (reinforced by the East Central Illinois Youth Orchestra for the Mussorgsky version of "The Night on Bear Mountain" and huge audience. It is easy to find me in the picture: just look for the violist with the grey hair.]

I played Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring a few days ago. I have known the piece (i.e. heard) for the greater part of my life, but aside from practicing the alto flute solos out of context (and never under pressure), this was my first experience playing it. I joked that I was the viola virgin that was being sacrificed.

Though I intellectually understood what I needed to do in order to play the piece as a member of the viola section, I was not as physically equipped as my section mates, all of whom (as you can see) are young enough to be my children.

Playing the passages that require oft-repeated down-bows, for example, can (and did after several rehearsals) really stress muscles and joints that we don't normally use in that particular way, at that particular loud dynamic, and for that long.

The first rehearsals went surprisingly well for me (I had practiced), but by the last rehearsal I worried that I might be getting too old for viola-playing musical life at this physical level.

I also realized, when I realized that I had forgotten my thermos of coffee in the car before the last rehearsal, how much adequate amounts of caffeine are necessary for the mental and physical stress of The Rite of Spring.

Fully caffeinated for the performance (and well fed to boot), I found the experience exhilarating, and am pleased to say that I functioned as a fully present member of the viola section.

Now, except for the fact that I am still sore, I feel like I can accomplish just about anything. Musically, that is.

No comments: