Sunday, May 12, 2024

Finding Gaia, on this Mother's Day

I realized from an early age that my mother identified far more as a daughter than as a mother. My grandmother was a figure larger than life for all of my mother's life. I don't know if my mother had the chance to forgive her mother for the various injustices that my grandmother inflicted on her (possibly in the way of trying to be a good mother) after my grandmother was no longer alive. I like to think she might have.

I feel grateful that I have been able to identify, and by tangible means and actions, work my way through the various injustices (mostly neglect, perhaps to "spare me" from having a hovering mother) involved in my own childhood.

Through various measures of "self care" (mostly musical) I have even gotten to the point, little by little, of forgiving my mother for her human shortcomings.

To compensate for not having piano lessons as a kid (piano is an instrument that is riddled with inborn difficulties for me), I spend time every day at the piano teaching myself to play, as if I were my student. I put a lot of energy into identifying the right/left coordination problems that seem to be wired into my brain and fingers, and little by little I make little steps towards my goal of really being able to play the instrument. My progress is very slow, and with every little achievement I slay dragons.

In my family of origin talent was inborn. Nobody really worked at anything. My brothers were naturally gifted in many ways, and both my parents were naturally gifted to the extreme. I was not. I scraped by not having to work for anything until I reached the point when I realized that my "gifts" had expired. It happened around sixth grade.

At that point other people all seemed to be far better at the things I wanted to do, and I had no idea why.

After thinking that I had failed at playing the violin and could not return to it, my next desire was to sing, dance, and act. I went to a performing arts camp where I had drama and dance classes, but I never got picked for parts in plays and shows in school. I had no idea that you had to work at these things.

I actually never worked at anything until I started playing flute. I only started playing flute because I loved music, and because my mother could no longer play her flute. I felt that my only path forward was to take her place.

I was far behind my peers. I studied my peers, though, and in every case I noticed that their parents  (who I also studied) instilled a work ethic in them. I did not have any kind of work ethic instilled in me, so I had to instill it myself.

That self-generated work ethic sustained me. And it still sustains me. Perhaps what my mother taught me (without actually teaching me) was the value of being self sufficient. It sure made growing up difficult, but here we are.

Now I understand that my mother, who had to reinvent herself many times because of various physical disabilities, valued her ability to work and grow as a visual artist, even when her vision was failing.

So this mother's day I offer this painting by my mother in celebration of her love of painting and nature. And I humbly remember that we all do what we can as mothers and as children with the hope that each new generation will be an improvement on the last generation(s) if childhood was difficult, and an equal to the last generations if childhood was wonderful.

5 comments:

Lisa Hirsch said...

Oh, Elaine, this is both profound and touching. I have enormous admiration for the ways that you have reinvented yourself, as a violinist, composer, teacher, pianist - an all-around musician.

Elaine Fine said...

Thank you so much, Lisa!

Jean Petree said...

Wow. This brought tears to my eyes. I have had to face similar yet different issues with my mother and trying to understand what happened to my relationship to her. I never really felt that I knew who she actually was. Mostly I push it out of my head. I’m not sure I understand enough to forgive her. How does one forgive a master of obfuscation. I also work at piano every day, knowing I’ll never play the way she did, yet still determined to improve!

Elaine Fine said...


We have always been sisters, Jean. And music can be so direct, while musicians can be unsolvable puzzles. You knew my mother slightly and I knew your mother even more slightly, but both were riddles, even if they were opposite kinds of mothers, if there can be opposites in motherhood (or even parenthood in general).

CKORD said...

Thank you for sharing your story, Elaine. It’s a powerful reminder of the enduring strength of the human spirit and the importance of understanding and forgiveness within the family. Your journey through understanding and forgiveness is both inspiring and deeply moving.

---------
Make your music easily discoverable. Create your artist profile on CKORD today!