Monday, July 06, 2020

WWBD: Allemande Project

It is very hot outside, and the air is full of so much pollen that it bothers me, a person who normally isn't bothered by seasonal allergies. And breathing the air is dangerous indoors in these parts because too many people refuse to wear masks when they go grocery shopping, which is the only indoor outside activity that either Michael and me do these days.

We always wear masks when we go, and we only go to the store every two or three weeks.

Watching the news is heartbreaking, and we distract ourselves with family banter, good books, and good movies. But most of our fun happens inside our individual heads (and on our blogs, of course).

The inside of my head, right now, is filled with adding voices to the Bach Cello Suites. A few years ago I did a Prelude Project where I adapted the Preludes of the Cello Suites for string quartet, and now I am deeply into adapting the Allemands (or Allemanden, or Allemandes--I'm still not sure of how I want to spell or pluralize the French word that describes a German dance).



I find myself making choices and following musical trains of thought that Bach might have made and followed, and when a measure or phrase ends up sounding a little (or a lot) like Bach, I get a real thrill. When a measure or phrase ends up sounding good, but does not necessarily sound like Bach, it's a cause of celebration as well.

There's a constant Bach party going on inside my head. I leave the room occasionally to do other things (like today I'm practicing the Beethoven "Spring" Sonata, and am contemplating making some chocolate chip cookies either tonight or tomorrow), but I always come back, and it is always lively and filled with possibilities.

Here's an audio draft of the C major Allemande. I spent much of yesterday and today working on the E-flat major Allemande. I will put the finished project into the IMSLP.

N.B. WWBD = What Would Bach Do

No comments: