Sunday, March 04, 2007

Banjo Fever

I love the banjo. My son started playing it a few months ago, and I love hearing him play, but last night I heard the banjo in a way I never heard it played before. I played a pops concert with Buddy Wachter. He played a program with orchestra that included Sarasate's Zigeunerweisen, a medley from Fiddler on the Roof, and a medley from Oklahoma. On very little rehearsal he played a jazz set, an old time fiddle set, and a bunch of traditional early 20th century small group ragtime stuff with groups of musicians from the orchestra. My favorite part of the concert was when he played a solo rendition of Mancini's theme from Charade because I could really listen to him play. He played this too, but I couldn't watch him very well since I was busy with violistic afterbeats.



It was a real thrill to hear him because in addition to having technique to burn he is an extremely expressive musician. He also developed an immediate rapport with the musicians in the orchestra, which is unusual in my experience. Now, with the concert as a memory, I really enjoy reading the insights on friendship, music, and learning on his website.

Tags: , , ,

No comments: