Sunday, October 06, 2013

Performing is Such a Strange Word

I do not consider myself to be a "performer," but I find the concentration that I experience when playing concerts exhilarating. It makes me feel so truly alive and truly involved (even relaxed) when I am playing chamber music or orchestral music for a group of people who are listening. When the concert at hand is over, I want to have the experience again; but the only way I can "get" it is through playing music with people for people. I suppose it is kind of an addiction.

Doesn't the word "performing" seem very much out of place?


Lyle Sanford, RMT said...

This made me look up the etymology of "perform" and it comes from the old French "parfournir" - through, to completion plus furnish, provide.

Furnishing and providing both have a better feel for me than performing - probably because I've spent way more time as a music therapist than as a music performer.

In this age of recorded music it seems more people perform music (in the sense you're uncomfortable with) than simply make it for themselves and friends.

I don't see your joy as an addiction, but more of a sensation amplified by it's increasing rarity in our society.

ksh said...

Perhaps the Gunther Schuller quote you mentioned in a recent post ("I love the word realize. I hate the word interpretation")is relevant here as it relates to performance.