Saturday, June 20, 2026

What a Concert!

The above video is set to start where my transcription of Florence Price's "Adoration" starts, but do listen to the rest of the concert, particularly concertmaster Albena Danailova's performance of the violin solo in Massenet's "Méditation from Thaïs," and Bryn Terfel's performance of "If I Were a Rich Man" from Fiddler on the Roof.

I was deeply impressed with the way Lorenzo Viotti shaped the phrases of "Adoration." An arranger can only present possibilities, but a great conductor can take them where they need to go in order to sound their best. The experience of hearing the strings of the Vienna Philharmonic, an ensemble steeped in such a rich musical history, connect their hearts and souls collectively to the music of Florence Price was overwhelming. It also made me smile when I noticed a gentle touch of the special and inimatible lilt that is built into the orchestra's DNA.

And I am so pleased to share this excerpt from a review of the concert.
Who could ask for anything more?

2 comments:

Jonathan Brodie said...

Your arrangement is worthy of the piece. Bravissima, Elaine Fine!

Elaine Fine said...

Thank you so much, Jonathan!