I have spent weeks trying to figure out how best to finger and bow the first violin part of the D minor Mozart "Haydn" Quartet. After a lot of thought, and after a lot of practice, I have come up with some solutions that work for me. The piece has so many sudden changes in dynamics that require being in different parts of the bow for different outcomes.
When I play the piece tonight with my friends, I'm sure to learn that my choices might, hopefully only here and there, not have been the best.
But that's the thing: Mozart opens up possibilities with his music that require a great deal of creativity. Maybe that's why we keep trying to meet him halfway throughout our musical lives. So many of us return to the same pieces again and again, hoping to achieve cleaner articulation, longer and stronger phrases, and emotional understanding.
I can proudly speak from experience concerning Haydn because I have practiced and played (not performed, however) the first violin parts of all of his quartets. I have found that there is usually one clever technical solution that makes a challenging phrase flow naturally. As florid as his phrases look on the page, they are a graceful pleasure to play, once you figure out exactly how. And then I have found cases where a clever technical solution I have found in an opening movement makes its way through all four movements of a quartet. That always gives me a thrill.
Maybe Haydn wrote his quartets with the idea of providing a satisfying way for musicians to interact socially. There are deep (very deep) emotional periods, and there are serious contrapuntal challenges as well as modulations in and out of remote-seeming keys, but the balances always seem to have been worked out in the composition process. And the challenges in Haydn seem, at least to me, more like opportunities for interesting music making than the challenges in Mozart that address every musician's capacity in the ensemble for introspection and intensely dramatic personal musical expression.
. . . After playing last night I can report that most of my bowing choices did not work in context, and that it really didn't matter at all. A great time was had by all. What a fantastic piece of music!
Wednesday, June 10, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
You have articulated beautifully something re Haydn and Mozart that I have long, but vaguely, sensed. Thank you for saying it so well! For me, Mozart is fundamentally operatic, and Haydn is fundamentally chatty. But his chatting has nothing to do with planning a trip to the dry-cleaners. It reaches high; and addresses the spheres.
I would love to see Stephen Colbert play Haydn in a bio-pic. Haydn could really engage and deliver creative musical whimsy.
Post a Comment