Sunday, May 21, 2023

Um, what does this have to do with music?

I just listend to an interview with Valerie Fridland on Alan Alda's Clear and Vivid podcast that involves, among other fascinating things about language, the purpose of "um" in conversation, and how it helps the person listening to process the information that the person that is speaking is conveying.

Of course I wonder if there is something comparable in musical communication in the pitches, rhythms, and articulations of the written music as well as in the way that a performing musician presents it to a listener.

Valerie Fridland is, in addition to being a professor of linguistics, a blogger.

As soon as I finish writing this post I'm heading over to Language in the Wild. I'm also putting a link to it on the sidebar.

No comments: