Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Florence Price Thumbnail Sketches transcribed for String Quartet

It does my heart good to see so many Florence Price birthday celebrations in these internets, including a great article by Samantha Ege and Douglas Shadle in yesterday's New York Times.

A couple of years ago I made a transcription of Price's Thumbnail Sketches of a Day in the Life of a Washerwoman for string quartet that I know has been performed here and there (I know of performances in Australia and New Zealand), but I have never had the chance to hear it played either live or recorded by a good string quartet.

So I'm taking the celebration of Florence Price's 135th birthday to share the link to the music here. I found the piano music in the IMSLP, so I put my string quartet transcription (I transposed it up a semitone from the original) there as well.

The score and parts are available on this page of the IMSLP, and you can listen to a computer-generated recording here.

No comments: