Saturday, April 08, 2023

Book Sale Sighting

Michael and I happened upon a book sale today. I was rather surprised to see a copy on the music table (selling for fifty cents) of a 2002 "listener's companion" for classical music that I made a dozen or so contributions to. I believe that I wrote my entries in 1999 or 2000.

My entries covered collections of flute music, oboe music, clarinet music, bassoon music, and harp music. I also wrote entries about recordings of Jewish music and Latin music, as well as some about individual composers: Astor Piazzolla, Lili Boulanger, Joseph Achron, Johann Pachelbel, J.C., J.C.F., and W.F. Bach, Irving Fine, J.J. Quantz, Edward MacDowell, and Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco.

It has been decades since I looked at this book, and am pleased to report that it is a very interesting collection of articles about music on records and the early days of CDs, some of which you might find in used book stores and book sales like the one we went to today.

I was surprised to see the glowing reviews of the book on Amazon. I hope that somebody bought it and is enjoying it.

1 comment:

psu said...

I have this book! A nice reference for some things.