Thursday, September 15, 2022

Need a Baton in a Pinch? Here's a DIY Solution

I found myself in sudden need of a baton, and when I found that the local university book store, which used to stock batons, no longer stocked them, I needed to find a way of making one myself. I found a paint brush in the art-supply area that felt like the right weight for a baton. For the handle I chose a cork from our kitchen drawer that provided a nice balance.


I cut the cork in half, and cut out a groove in both halves.

Then I stuck the hair and a bit of the ferrule between the cork halves, applied some glue, and secured the handle parts together with some rubber bands.

I was planning to sand it, but it looks and feels really good as is! Total cost? $4 for the paintbrush. Corks are, of course, priceless.

3 comments:

ksh said...

I have one made from a champagne cork and a knitting needle. I'm glad to know that someone else saves corks. A million uses.

Elaine Fine said...

A champagne cork is a great shape!

ksh said...

Yes. It feels very comfortable in my hand. The balance is good, and the knitting needle is white. I could probably write "King David" on the knitting needle and no one would be the wiser.