Friday, May 27, 2022

Is Wagner Addictive?

I have always thought of Richard Wagner as being extremely manipulative, both as a human being and as a composer. Perhaps the ability to manipulate is a large part of his skill. I have been "taken in" many a time, but I have never lapsed into fanaticism. Fascination, maybe.

I thought I'd share this extremely interesting perspective on Wagner from VAN Magazine. Lawrence D. Mass, the co-founder of GMHC (Gay Men's Health Crisis) is being interviewed here, and he brings up a lot of food for thought.

1 comment:

Lyle Sanford, RMT said...

Interesting article - but for me, your "I have always thought of Richard Wagner as being extremely manipulative, both as a human being and as a composer", really flipped a light switch in my head! It immediately felt deeply true, and made me wonder if there are personality traits in other composers that explain their music as well.