Sunday, April 18, 2021

Oh my ears and whiskers!

I have spent the last several weeks writing music inspired by Lewis Carroll. This one is a duo for viola and euphonium intended for the underserved communities of euphonium players who have friends who play viola, and violists who have friends who play euphonium (silly "mirror" refrence intended).

It can also be played as a duo for viola and cello, as a companion piece, perhaps to the Beethoven Duet mit zwei obligaten Augengläsern, WoO 32 on a program. Trying to imagine dynamic balances in real acoustic spaces between viola and euphonium is difficult, so I treated the euphonium line as a cello part in order to come up with usable dynamics that can be taken down a notch by euphonium players. It was only AFTER doing this that I realized the "mirror" reference to Augengläseren (eyeglasses) in the title.
[April 15, 2021]

You can find the music on this page of the IMSLP, and you can listen to a computer-generated recording here.

And coming to a YouTube channel in the near future is a performance of three songs I wrote for trumpet (cornet) and mezzo-soprano that I call "Adventures with Alice."

1 comment:

Yanesan said...

Thank you for creating this and making it so freely available. I had the pleasure to perform this last November at an outdoor concert at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Columbia, SC. Lots of serendipity here: I am a long time reader of your blog, and the search function of IMSLP produced this pleasant surprise while trying to figure out what to do with a euphonium and a viola. When I announced the “Grin Without a Cat” movement, a dog in the audience began barking. Like the wise old man said, we opted to beware the Jabberwock, maybe later?