Thursday, April 22, 2021

Airing of the grievances: pandemic edition

Actually I have nothing to complain about. Our lawn is mowed, and we even pulled vinca off our three big trees in the back yard (long-time readers know that I have a history with vinca). I'm pleased to report that in the nine years since my above-referenced vinca-related post, the vinca has been basically under control. It is no longer seeking total domination of our yard, and there is little of it to be found in the vast expanse of grass and other creeping vegitation that the moles might consider their roof.

Michael and I got our second Covid shots today, and I started feeling woozy enough to cancel my teaching for the day after about an hour. Now I'm feeling super tired, a little chilled, and I ache all over. All hail Moderna! I will never complain about "big pharma" again. I got my practicing in early, so, as much as I would like to, I'm not planning to try anything remotely musical until tomorrow.

We watched a good movie this afternoon ("Our Very Own" from 1949--it is on TCM through April 30th), and Michael put together dinner from leftovers AND did the dishes (alright, it was his turn). Then I scrolled around online for far too much time, finding nothing much to engage in, partially because I am in too much of a fog to engage.

But it is an acceptable fog because it is not the result of sickness: it is the result of gaining immunity from getting really sick. We are both doing our part to help defeat the pandemic. I wish that more of our neighbors in this virus-and-Republican-rich district of Illinois would open their eyes and minds and get vaccinated. Having a little discomfort is well worth it as far as I'm concerned.

After finding little to engage with on Facebook (a place where I sometimes find lively social activity), I decided to contribute a friendly voice here, my own little place on the internet.

It is very quiet around here. I like to think it is a good kind of quiet, and now that I have finished sharing my thoughts, that quiet actually feels like a moment of peace.

With a generous helping of aches on the side (and everywhere).

1 comment:

Lisa Hirsch said...

Yay!

I get my second shot on May 1. I am glad that you and Michael have been fully vaccinated.

The pharmaceutical companies certainly came through, but I feel we have plenty to complain about nonetheless, with inflated pricing of necessities like Epi-Pens and insulin leading the way.