Monday, June 15, 2020

Odd happenings: Sweet Gum on the YouTube

It's fun to search through YouTube and find recordings people have made of music I have written or music I have arranged. Last night I came upon a really nice recording of "Sweet Gum" from my "Autumn Leaves" set of violin duos. (If you listen closely you will hear the kookaburra gets a musical mention here and there.)

I have no idea who is playing. I wish I did. The performance is just great.

Here is the information on the YouTube entry:

Provided to YouTube by Independent Digital

Autumn Leaves: IV. Sweet Gum · Ted Nayes · Unknown · Elaine Fine

Music for the Moment: Classic Music on the Violin

℗ 2019 RMG Classical Records

Released on: 2019-04-18

Auto-generated by YouTube.
I'm particularly wierded out by the "Auto-generated by YouTube" part. And I wonder what Independent Digital is. A google search for Ted Nayes leads to all kinds of random musical stuff with titles like "ultimate relaxation." A search for the record label Ted Nayes is listed as being associated with, Rehegoo USA, is even more interesting.

I put the music for these duets in the IMSLP so that people could find them easily and play them. I have no problem with people making recordings of the music that I write, and even, as long as I know about it, selling those recordings commercially. But it is really odd having work that is part of an auto-generated listing on YouTube that doesn't give the names of the performers, or make it clear who wrote the music.

No comments: