Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Augustin Hadelich plays Méditation from Thaïs

I suppose that I'm posting videos of Augustin Hadelich just about every day. I could post about other stuff, but these videos are the highlight of my musical day, and they bring me so much happiness (and inspiration) that I want to share them here. Each video he makes manages to give me specific musical relief to the fears about we have all have at this time while isolated our various remote locations. Today's video is far reaching in its musical/emotional intelligence. It is a deep exploration of contradictions in the workings of the human heart, both on the part of the composer, Jules Massenet, and on the part of the performers, Augustin Hadelich and Augustin Hadelich.

I'll offer Augustin Hadelich's words (from his Facebook post)
Massenet's Méditation is a dreamy and passionate piece from his opera Thaïs. It's marked "Andante religioso" and is about introspection and soul-searching, as Thaïs undergoes a religious awakening and grapples with the conflict between the sensual and spiritual.

It was hard to accompany myself in this one - I had some fights with myself during rehearsal!
Maybe I went too crazy adjusting the colors, I tried to go for a nostalgic look for this one. From now on I can film with two camera angles - Progress!

No comments: