Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Saprophyte String Quartet Project



I have always been interested in fungi (who isn't?), and thinking about honoring fungi in musical ways (as I have mentioned in previous posts) has been overwhelming because of the variety to consider! Who could choose even a few favorites? I finally decided to write a set of pieces for string quartet in honor of the whole realm of fungi.

In this time of staying inside I might try my hand at making a YouTube video with photographs of some of these amazing organisms to go along with the music, but for now I have put score, parts, and an audio file on this page of my Thematic Catalog, which links to a dropbox folder and an entry in the IMSLP.

Those in the string quartet "know" will understand immediately the source of this particular "decomposition." I am, of course, not the first to have used it for "nourishment."

You can listen here.

4 comments:

ksh said...

I love mushrooms, too! Last year was particularly good for morels and boletus, though not for oysters (my favorites).
This looks like it would make a good guitar quartet. Permission to arrange it, please?

Elaine Fine said...

Absolutely! And I want to hear it!

Speaking of mushrooms, try making this soup: slice some portabello mushrooms and some onions. Saute them in olive oil. Cook some black bean noodles in some chicken bone broth. Throw in the mushrooms and onions, add a few greens (lettuce or spinach) and/or sprouts, add salt and pepper, and eat. It’s kind of like a savory Pho.

Elaine Fine said...

P.s. I made it with oyster mushrooms today.

ksh said...

Yum! Thanks for the idea!