Monday, February 03, 2020

Haydn's Sweet Homage to Mozart

The Mozart G minor Piano Quartet was on the radio at lunchtime today. Michael recognized the theme immediately from a Haydn "London" Trio that I used to play on the baroque flute some thirty-odd years ago. This seems to be a case of Haydn paying homage to his late friend Mozart.

Here's the last movement of the Mozart Piano Quartet in G minor, K. 478, written in 1785:



Here's the last movement of the Haydn "London" Trio #1 in C major, Hob. IV:1, written in 1794 (it should start at 6:57):



Here's the Mozart:



Here's the Haydn:

3 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

Just wanna say how proud I am to be able to recognize what’s obvious. :)

ksh said...

Thank you for this, Elaine. I'm coaching a guitar trio on this piece this semester.
Also, from your earlier post mentioning your Wikipedia page, I learned that we're both Clevelanders.

Elaine Fine said...

I spent my first 4 1/2 years in Cleveland, which is probably why I never developed a Boston accent (though I always wanted one).