Monday, September 16, 2019

"The Spider's Web"

I was thinking about the WGBH radio program "The Spider's Web" that I listened to (in both Boston and New York) during the 1970s, and I was, sadly, unable to find the recording they used of the theme song, which I believe was sung by Odetta.

A great big thanks goes to these girls, who are teaching others how to harmonize it on YouTube.



And here's a recording of the song by an unnamed grown-up, who, kindly, is sharing the words and chords online.

I wrote two posts about the radio show back in 2009.

4 comments:

ksh said...

I loved that program, Elaine, but, boy do we remember the theme differently.
In my memory it was James Taylor who sung the theme.

Elaine Fine said...

I don’t remember James Taylor singing the theme, but there might have been different people who sang it over the years. I imagine that our memories are both correct.

Anonymous said...

Livingston Taylor sang the theme song. My Mother asked him at a concert if it was on any of his CDs available to purchase. He told her it was not but maybe she could find it on youtube. I purchased it a couple of years ago when it finally became available included in a large 5 cd dvd 50 Years of Livingston Taylor boxed set from his web site for ~$90.00. I listened to the show all of the time when I was a child and now I have a recording of the opening song. I had been looking for old cassettes from when I had originally listened to the show but I was unable to locate any that my Mother had recorded. I am happy to have it.

Elaine Fine said...

I guess Kevin was half right! It was a different Taylor! Thank you so much.