Wednesday, September 11, 2019

A la una yo naci

Every once in a while I become seduced by the Sephardic muse, and I have to make an instrumental setting of a Sephardic melody.

This traditional melody from Sarajevo, which I found in Isaac Levy's 1959 publication Chant Judéo-Espagnols (and first heard performed by Voice of the Turtle), is one of the most alluring songs in the book. The text of the original song translates "I was born at one, at two I grew, at three I took a lover, at four I married. Tell me, young girl, where do you come from? I want to know you. Tell me if you have a lover. If not, I want to love you."



You can listen to a computer-generated recording here, and find the score and parts here and on this page of the IMSLP.

To learn more about Sephardic music and the history of recordings of Sephardic music, visit Sephardic Music: A Century of Recordings.

No comments: