Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Treasures from the Family Archives

My mother (born June Blume) and grandmother (born Anne Bohrod) both wrote songs! My mother, who wrote "I Just Can't Get You Out of My Mind" at seventeen, was by far a better song writer than my grandmother, who wrote "Why?" when she was a young woman, though I have a strong suspicion that my grandmother is only responsible for the lyrics of her song.

My mother’s sister found these pieces of music while cleaning out the house that Grandma Anne lived in during the last part of her life (my grandmother died in 2004 at age 98).

As you can see from this detail from the cover, my mother wrote her song in 1946. I love the way she was searching for a creative way to write her name, and then covered it over with something that eventually fell off.







I do love the way my grandmother "fancied up" her name:

And it seems that Walee Brown made "arrangements" for a lot of would-be popular songwriters:



and my grandmother might have responded to an advertisement like this one, which appeared in Popular Mechanics:



If you would like a PDF of my mother's song, which is bundled with a nice little piano waltz she wrote, you can find it here.

No comments: