Sunday, September 23, 2007

Take me Back to Manhattan

This post by Dick Strawser took me right back to the Manhattan of the 1970s, when people (as I remember) developed friendships because they found one another interesting.

Dr. Dick mentions Richard Thomas' ballet dancer friend who made his film debut in "The Turning Point." I remember the absolute splash that "The Turning Point" made in everyone's life in New York in the 1970s, and I particularly remember the 45 or so seconds that I shared with Mikhail Baryshnikov (and a few other people) in an elevator while traveling vertically through the Juilliard School of music one afternoon in 1978. I don't think that anyone in the elevator actually took a breath for that whole ride. When Baryshnikov got off on the third floor and the elevator door closed, we mortals all inhaled, looked at one another, and knew that we shared a moment we would remember for the rest of our lives.

I only knew Richard Thomas from the TV as John Boy Walton, so it was wonderful to read about the actor behind the make-believe and his connection with music, dance, and literature.

No comments: