Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Musical Assumptions Posts from Years Past as PDF Files

Now that I have close to twenty years of blog posts here, and with an eye on what the next twenty years might bring (to both the blog format and to me), I have started making yearly digests in PDF form so that everything I have written here doesn't simply disappear into a puff of air.

I toyed with the idea of organizing things into book form and presenting it to a publisher, but I decided not to. I'm not interested in making money (for myself or for a publishing company) from the things I have written in my blog, and I'm certainly not interested in taking it down (which I would probably have to do) after signing a contract that would give all the rights to what I have written in it to a publisher.

In order to keep things in "digestable" chunks, I have left the comments out of the digests. I have also eliminated recipes, posts that have to do with things fully non-musical, and almost all of the pictures. I have not included posts that only reference other posts and websites (many that no longer exist), and have cleaned things up so that everything looks uniform. The posts that I have left off the PDF digest are still accessible by way of the sidebar. Once I finish the digests I will get around to improving the labels (in case you really want to find a recipe or something).

The digest for every year reads from January to December, pretty much in order (in contrast to the way blogs read backwards, with the most recent posts at the top). The files are between 200K and 1000K. I have removed the individual dates of each post, but the pages are all numbered.

Posts from 2005
Posts from 2006
Posts from 2007
Posts from 2008
Posts from 2009
Posts from 2010
Posts from 2011
Posts from 2012
Posts from 2013
Posts from 2014
Posts from 2015
Posts from 2106
Posts from 2017
Posts from 2018
Posts from 2019
Posts from 2020
Posts from 2021
Posts from 2022

4 comments:

Lisa Hirsch said...

Did you use an automated process or export the body of all posts or do this manually....?

Elaine Fine said...

I do it manually, copying and then pasting into text edit, changing the font color to black, making everything a uniform size, pasting the whole thing into pages, and then removing the links (automatically), and then manually increasing the size of the post titles. It takes a couple of hours for each year.

Frank Little said...

Is there no academic institution in the States which archives significant blogs such as your own? I ask because Aberystwyth University does that here in Wales.

Elaine Fine said...

I’m not associated with any academic institution, but it is nice to know that Wales takes the work of its bloggers seriously.