Sunday, June 04, 2023

Nocturne for String Quartet or Viola Quartet

I wrote a piece last week in honor of my almost-93-year-old father, who spends the greater part of his days sleeping. Now that the weather is warm, he spends much of his time happily napping on the deck, in the sun. I was going to call this piece "my father, sleeping," but decided to call it Nocturne, because it turned out to be more of a night piece than a nap-in-the-sun piece. And I also made a transcription of it for viola quartet, because the two upper parts sound nice on the viola (I could say, "doesn't everything?" but I would not be speaking honestly).

You can listen to the string quartet version here, and the viola quartet version here. And you can find the score and parts for both versions on this page of the IMSLP.

No comments: