Sunday, December 04, 2022

A Dictionary of Opera and Song Themes

On Christmas Eve of 2018 I made a post about the Barlow and Morganstern Dictionary of Musical Themes, which was published in 1948. In the introduction the writers mentioned that they were working on a second volume that would include vocal music (songs and opera).


I found the second edition of that volume in a used bookstore yesterday. It was first published in 1950, and my revised edition is from 1976.

I was happy to see that there were entries for Jerome Kern and George Gershwin, but surprised (and disappointed) to see that the entries only have titles and blank staves.



In the introduction to this volume the writers mention that the person (or people) that published music by Gershwin, Kern, Edward German, and Frank E. Tours would not allow themes by those composers to be printed in the book.

I'm guessing that the third Porgy and Bess entry, the one without the title, must be "Summertime," and I'm sure I'm not the only person who noticed that the seventh empty entry for Porgy and Bess is "I got plenty o' nuttin.'" Plenty o' nuttin' indeed.

No comments: