Friday, March 11, 2022

Oatmantaschen for Purim



I haven't posted a recipe for a while. This one is more of a sculpture, and also an excuse to make up a word. A bit of levity helps these days. You could use any oatmeal cookie recipe, but here's what I did (my personal alternation of the recipe on the lid of the Quaker Oats container):
Heat oven to 350. Blend half a stick of softened butter with one half cup brown sugar and one half cup of cane sugar. (I actually had to add a tablespoon of molasses because the brown sugar in the cabinet was too light for my taste.)

Add three eggs and a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and mix.

Combine 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and half a teaspoon salt with a cup and a half of flour (I used two parts whole Bob's Red Mill whole wheat graham flour and one part King Arthur white), and mix together to form a dough.

Then add a cup of raisins, and three cups of rolled oats.

This is just a normal oatmeal cookie recipe for me (lots of flavor and texture, without being too sweet). I made one sheet of normal ones, and while they were cooking I put about half a cup of raisins in a glass dish with a splash of vanilla and a splash of water. I cooked this mixture (covered) on high for about 30 seconds.

I formed some slightly larger cookies with the remaining dough, made a little thumbprint-sized well in each one, and put a little of the raisin/vanilla mixture in each of them.

I cooked these for ten minutes. I could have taken them out a minute sooner.

No comments: