Wednesday, January 12, 2022

My (semi) private menagerie

This April Mel Bay will be publishing the first of two books of scale pieces for solo violin that I wrote around the time I was writing "Weights and Measures." The first book, which can be played entirely in first position (or in the first through the fifth positions on the viola) is called "Scale Tales," because each of the pieces is a musical "portrait" of an animal that has scales. The second book, which will come out later in 2022 is tentatively called "Advanced Scale Studies" (though I wish it could be called "Upscale Tales"), has portraits of twenty-four more animals with scales, and uses the whole range of the violin.

I have made a set of ten musical videos that show the life cycle (sometimes) of the various animals to accompany the music.

You can see videos of the first ten pieces here.

No comments: