Sunday, May 09, 2021

My Mother, Her Self


This painting by my mother spent several decades hanging in her mother's apartment. My aunt found it a few years ago, and decided to give it to me. Now it hangs next to my desk.

The girl, who does not have a face, has my mother's hair and my mother's posture. She seems to be young, and seems to be contemplating something beyond the white flowering plant next to her and the glowing obelisk beyond it. A scary-looking tiger-like creature sits in front of the marble pillar supporting the bench.

The lines are straight and strong, but the girl, the obelisk, and the flowers are impressionistly blurred. The tiger-creature (could it be a scary dog?) seems to be smiling, but in an ironic/evil sort of way. Except for the ironic and evil creature in the foreground, the painting is rather serene.

I think that Freud or Proust would have a great time talking about this painting.

3 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum?

I always thought this was a painting of you.

AJ said...

It's quite haunting but I really like this painting.

I am a musician as well! I'd love to connect. Do you happen to take guest posts? Or, would you be interested in a composer interview? https://aleahfitzwater.com/

Elaine Fine said...

I Aleah. How interesting that you have an interview on your blog with a composer who lives in the town next to mine in Illinois! I don't take guest posts, but I think it might be fun, considering the geographical area in the composer interview you posted, to do one for your blog.