Friday, March 11, 2011

Ah! fuggi il traditor!



Pay special attention to the recitative between "La ci darem la mano" and "Ah! fuggi il traditor," and see if it doesn't recall the antics of a certain politician.

DONNA ELVIRA
Leave her, thou vile seducer!
By heav'n I'm sent, thy perfidy to witness;
And to prevent thee
From deluding this poor girl's inexperience
With thy treacherous language.

ZERLINA
I wonder says she truly!

DON GIOVANNI
Cupid, inspire me!
softly to Elvira
Can you chide, dear Elvira,
A little harmless pastime?

DONNA ELVIRA
Harmless pastime? Indeed, Sir!
Harmless pastime! Deceitful man
I know too much of your pastime.

ZERLINA
But, my lord, please to tell me,
Has she the right to say this?

DON GIOVANNI
She's so infatuated!
But I must treat her kindly,
She cannot bear from my side to be parted,
Unfortunately I am too tenderhearted.

No comments: