Friday, April 16, 2010

Pita Chips


Michael keeps insisting that I put the recipe for pita chips on my blog. I know I didn't invent the recipe, and when Michael makes them, he makes them slightly differently from they way I make them, but I'm still putting them here, just in case someone reading this has run out of crackers and has a old bag of pita bread sitting in the fridge.

All you need is pita bread, olive oil, and a jar of Italian Seasoning (or dashes of marjoram, thyme, oregano, savory, and whatever else you might have around). Michael tears the pita bread, arranges it on a cookie sheet, and sprinkles the seasoning on the top. He doesn't use salt. (The above picture is from Michael's most recent batch, before cooking and after cooking.)

I cut the pita in triangles, and I mix the seasonings with the olive oil in an old spice jar (no not the cologne), and add a clove of crushed garlic. Then I shake the whole mixture over the pita, which I have laid out hypotenuse to hypotenuse.

We both bake the chips in a 400 degree oven for a few minutes. I put salt and pepper on mine. When we eat them, we marvel at our thriftiness: a serving of processed pita chips would cost five times as much to buy, and it is never half as good.

No comments: