Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Greens and Eggs

If you love poached eggs, but don't feel confident about the poaching part, and you love greens, I have the breakfast (or lunch, or dinner) for you. I have been making this for a couple of weeks now, and this morning I decided to document the process to share here.


I use a mixture of pungent greens: mustard, kale, turnip, and who knows what else. This mixture is always satisfying. The mix of flavors (sweet, bitter, spicy) is so interesting that I don't feel the need to add salt (though I have used salt, onion, pepper, and garlic on occasion).


Fill a non-stick pot (that you can cover) with greens.


Cook on high heat with a little bit of olive oil until the greens turn bright green.


Carefully slide in the eggs, turn the heat to medium, and cover.



Cook until the tops of the eggs are no longer transparent (2 to 4 minutes--I never keep track).


Using a flexible spatula, slide the contents of the pot onto a plate, and there you have it!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Brilliant! I am a person who is both afraid of poaching eggs and who loves greens!