Thursday, August 02, 2012

Musical Fun Dictating to the Mountain Lion

I spent a far larger chunk of time that I planned to updating my Mac to the new Mountain Lion operating system (four hours to get it on my computer--including waiting time--and another two hours installing it and getting updates for it). This morning I have been having some fun with the new dictation feature in Pages. I did what any musician would do: I spoke in various languages and with different accents, and then I played into it.

Here is what the program made of my instrumental croonings:

Who is who
Hello hello and hello
Are are are boo-boo boo-boo boo hello
Are you doing boo-boo or or and or add who
Or or or or woo hoo
Are are are are
On or or add
Are are are are are are are are
Hello Bobo www.and I'll come.com

Are are are are are
Or add her or add her her mad mad mad
Are are are are are
Are are are are on ha ha

Are all all all her her
Are are are are are are
Woo hoo or or
Are are are are are are
Bird or or or or you

[The first stanza comes from sounds made on my viola, the second stanza is from the sopranino recorder, and the third comes from sounds I made on the alto recorder.]

I think I'll do something productive now.

3 comments:

Carl said...

Great poetry!

Anonymous said...

"Who is who
Hello hello and hello
Are are are boo-boo boo-boo boo hello
Are you doing boo-boo or or and or add who
Or or or or woo hoo..."

This is proof positive for me that much of the postmodern word arts as well as the stuff published in journals like Persepctives of New Music for years purporting to offer insight into music and creativity was little more than amusing fluff. When the "recognition" programs can be so comical and amusing in their mimicry of such high intellectual "art," we learn in retrospect a "new perspective" of what has past and been passed off as jolly great thinking.

Now if you continue playing into the program algorithms for a few days to generate code the length of "Ulysses" and then publish same, we may be assured some critic will hale it as groundbreaking.

History, as it repeats, returns as a farce, it was said. And so the great woohoo calls to us.

Anonymous said...

Hale and hearty....
The coffee had not taken effect.
Hail and woohoo....