Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Peace for the New Year

I'm such a creature of habit. Even though I don't really think about it, I always seem to write a piece during the last two weeks of December, and it is usually finished by the first of the next year. It would be dishonest to date this piece for viola d'amore and piano for Friday, especially since I finished it this evening. I need to be done with it in order to move on to other things, so I'm releasing this piece into the ether of cyberspace, and then I can have some peace for the new year.

It amazes me how much time can go into a writing piece that lasts a mere four minutes and thirty seconds. The act of getting rid of the notes that need to be eliminated, and making sure that the remaining notes are in the right places takes a vast amount of time. Hours and hours. Days. Weeks, even.

You can listen to it here.

No comments: