Saturday, August 08, 2009

Julia Child and the Singing Cookbook

It was only minutes after getting home from Julie and Julia that I cracked open my mother's Mastering the Art of French Cooking (I happen to have both volumes, and it turns out that volume 2 is a first edition), and started looking among the aspics and sweetbreads for vegan dishes. There are certainly enough vegetable recipes in there to keep the spirit of the film with me through the winter. Julia Child's books are just great, but I really want to get my hands on this singing cookbook she shows in this film clip.

5 comments:

T. said...

Delightful! I can't wait to see the film. Lisa (who blogs at Anali's First Amendment) and I were supposed to go opening night but were both too pooped/busy, so we've rescheduled for a matinee next week.

Meryl Streep is a genius...

Crayons said...

I know that everyone loves Julia Child, but I think I love her the most. Tee hee. This was such a moving clip. I remember watching her show with my mother in the early 1970s. She so dang smart and so eloquent and has such a refreshingly dry sense of humor.

I'm glad you gave your approval to the movie. I've not been able to bring myself to watch it. I may have to bite the bullet.

Elaine Fine said...

Perhaps Meryl Streep will inspire you enough to immortalize Julia Child (somehow) with your crayons!

Randy Foster said...

Sorry for the late reply, but I have been spending the last few days catching up with your wonderful blog from the beginning. Just out of curiosity, I did a search at Bookfinder for the singing cookbook. The good news it that there is a copy available; the bad news is that it is over $2700. You can see details here: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=festin+joyeux&x=55&y=14

Elaine Fine said...

Wow Randy!