Sunday, June 10, 2007

Musical Doctors

When I was growing up outside of Boston, our family doctor played the violin. Around Boston it was common for doctors to be musicians (and even for musicians to be doctors). Out here in Central Illinois there are lots of musicians with doctoral degrees in various disciplines, but I haven't come across a medical doctor-musician in years. What a treat it was to come across this beautifully-written blog by a Boston-based anesthesiologist who recently started playing the oboe.

I am very glad that there are still a lot of doctor-musicians "practicing" in the world. There's a famous doctors' orchestra that seems to be thriving in Los Angeles, there's one in Houston, one in New York, one in Europe, one in Philadelphia, and of course one in Boston.

Tags: , ,

3 comments:

T. said...

Elaine - Thank you for your kind words, and for visiting my blog. I noticed on your profile that you like Peyton Place - I just wrote about visiting the author's home, which now belongs to friends of ours. They hosted a wonderful barn raising over the weekend. Much food for thought for all of us "builders" - composers, writers, musicians, moms...! I look forward to exploring your music and posts.

Lee said...

Thanks too for this recommendation. It's a fascinating blog, and I'm also linking to it today.

David Toub said...

Indeed, there are many commonalities among physicians and music. Many physicians play in orchestras made up of just physicians. At times, I wonder if I'm a composer who just happens to be a gynecologist or a gynecologist who just happens to be a composer...

Nice post---thanks!