Sunday, September 10, 2006

Augustin Hadelich

I was completely bowled over by the recital I heard Augustin Hadelich play in Indianapolis today (I heard it on line). I think that the difference between him and all the other violinists I have heard in this Indianapolis competition is that I could imagine myself playing like most of the other violinists, that is, if I had enough technique, strength, stamina, and if I had healthy nerves. With Augustin Hadelich it is different. When he plays, he challenges my musical imagination. I feel like I can understand his playing physically, but the excitement, intensity, and personal investment that goes into every note and every phrase sends his playing to a completely different musical level from anything I could ever even imagine attaining or really understanding.

I had my violin case open while I was watching his recorded performance, and I looked at him, and then looked at the picture of Michael Rabin I keep in my case. My reaction to Hadelich's playing is not that different from my reaction to Michael Rabin's playing.

The video of his recital is archived now, and may only be available for a few more days. If you want a thrill go here and follow the link to listen to the performances of the finalists.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard his playing, but it sounds as though my orchestra is lucky that he will be playing the Glazunov concerto with us later this year.

Elaine Fine said...

Both your orchestra and your audience are lucky. I hope that the people responsible for hiring him can get in a future concert before his fee becomes astronomical.

Anonymous said...

I saw sitting right there in front of him at the finals of the vilin compotition and I was so amazed that I didn't take my eyes off him until he was finished with the piece.I think he is going to go ver fa somday with the violin and I will be at the concert for Indianapolis.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, are you with the Longwood Symphony Orchestra? I heard Augustin play the Glazunov with the LSO here in Boston the other night. What an amazing performance! And his unaccompanied follow-up with that Bach piece (I didn't catch its title) was even more so. Someone described the way he performs as being like he's singing but it comes through the violin. Whatever it is, he's very special, and I'm so happy that I got to hear and watch him play!

Anonymous said...

Yes - the Glazunov in Boston was a thrilling experience - beyond even my highest expectation. From our seats in the the third row, accoustics were superb (as they are throughout Jordan Hall)and I could see and feel the grace and finesse of his playing as well the intense passion. Thankfully, the audience response was overwhelming - a leaning hush as he prepared to play, attentive silence throughout his performances, and prolonged standing ovations at the end of each. Must go and hear him again...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I play in the Longwood Symphony. It was a great experience, playing that concert. And Augustin's encore was so introspective and magical, it seemed the audience was spellbound. I think I saw a couple people in the audience wiping away tears afterwards!

Emily Baker said...

My orchestra, the MS Symphony Orchestra in Jackson, MS, is getting the privilege of working with Mr.Hadelich on the Beethoven concerto this week. His technique is impeccable and he is a very musical and charismatic performer, but I am most impressed with his sound--it's sweet and absolutely lovely, like a fine spun-silver thread. I'm looking forward to hearing a lot more from this incredibly talented young man.

Emily Baker said...

One more comment...the second movement of Hadelich's Beethoven concerto is pure magic: Every note perfectly in tune and that sweet singing sound...perfect! Can't wait for the performance tonight!

Elaine Fine said...

You are so lucky to be able to play with him. I imagine that he just gets better and better (if that is even possible)! Thanks for letting us all know where Augustin is and what he is playing.